This week, the FreedomWorks for America team was busy meeting with candidates running for federal office. We sat down with Scott Parkinson (R) running for VA-SEN, Alex Mooney (R) running for WV-SEN, Julie Clark (R) running to primary Tony Gonzales in TX-23, and Anthony Sabatini (R) running for FL-11. We have not endorsed any candidates thus far, but these are a few folks to keep our eyes on.
- “Shows Republicans have taken a lead on the national generic congressional ballot while nearly two-thirds of voters are worried about the stability of the US banking system.”
- “Florida Governor Ron DeSantis continues slightly outperforming Donald Trump in a hypothetical 2024 presidential race against President Joe Biden.”
- “In two hypothetical 2024 presidential general election matchups, President Biden leads Trump by two but is dead even against Governor DeSantis. Both Biden (-11% net fav) and Trump (-14% net fav) are underwater while Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has a net favorable image of +3%.”
- “In addition, 57% doubt that the Federal Reserve and the U.S. government can successfully manage the economy. However, only 29% of voters blame President Biden for the recession we may be in or will soon have.”
U.S. House of Representatives Updates
- “Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) criticized her fellow Republicans on Sunday for their silence on issues of mass shootings and abortion access, arguing GOP lawmakers must offer policy solutions to some of the most pressing issues facing voters.”
- “Republicans can no longer be silent on this issue.”
- “It’s not about the Second Amendment. There are plenty of things that we could be doing besides offering prayers and silence.”
- “She pointed to an amber alert system that would tell people when they are near a mass shooting. She also said Republicans should strengthen background checks and bolster physical security at vulnerable locations, like schools and churches.”
- “Mace has been a sharp critic of some of the Republican party’s moves to restrict abortion access in the U.S. following the overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court last year. Mace, who considers herself as “pro-life” but supports some abortion access, said lawmakers need to find a middle ground on the issue of abortion.”
Oregon Capital Chronicle: Republican Chavez-DeRemer leads Oregon congressional delegation in fundraising
- “Republican U.S. Rep. Lori Chavez-DeRemer has raised more money for her re-election campaign than any other member of Oregon’s congressional delegation, quarterly campaign finance reports show.”
- If you recall, Rep. Lori Chavez-DeRemer flipped this seat red in the 2022 midterm election. This a good sign and step in the right direction for Republicans in the OR-05 district.
- “Republican group One Nation, which is aligned with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, is unloading more than $1 million on a campaign hitting Manchin for supporting Democrats’ marquee party-line bill last year.”
- “Republicans are seeking to tie the West Virginia Democrat to his party’s marquee tax, health care and climate law, betting it will drag down his prospects in the deep-red state.”
- “A strategist close to GOP Gov. Jim Justice said that the governor has made up his mind and will likely launch his Senate campaign before the end of the month.”
- If Gov. Jim Justice jumps in, this will make for an interesting primary between the Governor and Representative Alex Mooney.
- “Polls show Manchin with an early lead against Rep. Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.) in a hypothetical matchup, but with work to do against Justice.”